Teeth whitening with turmeric is a bit of controversial remedy, because of its yellow color and the fact that it can stain everything that touches. However, you’ll be surprised to learn that it is an age old teeth whitening remedy that is widely used in India and other parts of the world. There are many benefits for your dental health, if you use turmeric remedy, not just for whitening teeth. Is it true or it’s just a myth? Here are several facts about it that will help you decide whether you’re going to try it or not.
What is turmeric and why it is used for general dental health, including teeth whitening?
Turmeric teeth whitening process is a 100% natural that is free from side effect after use. This may be very confusing to some people because turmeric stains things that it comes in contact with for example clothes, plastic, and nails etc. teeth change color as a result of diet, they take in colored liquid for example tea, coffee among others.
Curcumin the component of the turmeric has antibiotic, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which relieve dental problems such as gingivitis and tooth ache. If you mix turmeric with other ingredients, it can remove plaque that maybe responsible for tooth decay. People usually come in contact and use the turmeric in powder form. Others, in other parts of the world, chew the turmeric root with neem twig to cleanse the gums, teeth and the entire mouth.
This is also good for cavity pain. So if you want to brighten your teeth using a natural and effective way turmeric is your answer to all that and good oral health.
It not only whitens your teeth but also cleanses the teeth removing the bacterial infection that may be present. This is done possible due to the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties present in turmeric.
Turmeric belongs to the ginger family and it has mild and abrasive property. As the baking soda, the turmeric paste for teeth whitening, leaves the teeth with a nice polish giving you a very beautiful smile. Do not practice this method twice a day, because the gums are too sensitive and they might get irritated and inflamed.
Turmeric Paste recipes for Teeth Whitening
There are several way to whiten your teeth with turmeric. One way is to mix it with baking soda and coconut oil, or with water to form a turmeric paste. You can find the recipes for the two pastes below the image.
Teeth whitening with turmeric paste (Turmeric + water)
- Mix one table spoon of turmeric powder with an equal amount of water to make a thick paste.
- Use the paste to brush your teeth gently for 3- 4 minutes
- Spit and rinse until the water coming out is clear repeat this regularly to achieve fast results. Turmeric tastes awful. It can stain your brush but that will be a small price to pay for white and sparking teeth.
Teeth whitening with turmeric paste (Turmeric + baking soda + coconut oil)
- Mix 4 table spoons of turmeric powder with 2 table spoons of baking soda add 2 and half table spoon of coconut oil.
- Mix it thoroughly
- Use the mixture to brush your teeth for 2-3 minutes
- Spit and rinse with water until the water coming out is clear
- Repeat this regularly to achieve the white smile that you always wanted
Therefore turmeric and baking soda for teeth whitening is a perfect and a natural remedy
See the before and after images
Side Effects of Using Turmeric for Teeth Whitening
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding it is advised to get your doctor’s opinion before trying out anything
- If you have diabetes, turmeric may decrease blood sugar, be very careful when using it.
- For those who may be going for surgery two weeks to or after surgery are asked not to take turmeric for that period because it might slow blood clotting.
- People with gallbladder problem cannot use turmeric.
If you want to read more about what the effect of turmeric in teeth whitening, click the following link.