A research reveals that herbal medicines can have serious side effects and interactions with other drugs the patient might be consuming. These interactions happen due to the fact that people rarely tell their doctors what they take on their own risk.
It is especially important to tell your doctor, in order the best possible treatment to be given to you.
Some herbal medicines can cause serious side effects, such as kidney failure and liver damage. This happens when the herbs used in the herbal medicine contain toxic chemical and heavy metals or due to their reactions with other chemical drugs.
In the Medical Journal of Australia, a research paper was published that contain these findings. A variety of experts and researchers from the University of Adelaide were confirming the results of 52 different search papers and studies of herbal medicines and toxicology.
The leading pathologist, Roger Byard, said that the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) should require testing of herbal medicines before companies place them on the market. Also he mentioned, that companies that do not follow these recommendations or make false claims, on the product’s descriptions, will have to pay legal penalties.
I am also a fan of herbal medicines and practice them too, and my interest in alternative medicine doesn’t mean I’m dismissing conventional medicine. Likewise, listening to my doctor’s orders doesn’t discount adding natural medicine to what the doctor has prescribed. However, there are some risks you want to avoid when mixing the treatments.
Considerations and guidelines to have in mind
To keep yourself and others safe, make sure you follow these guidelines and always have them in mind.
- Talk to your doctor and your alternative healthcare professional
Always tell your doctor if you are planning to start a course of herbal medicine for your condition. Always tell your herbal therapist what conventional drugs you are taking.
- Don’t stop the treatment from your doctor
Never stop taking conventional drugs without consulting your doctor first and without his approval. Herbs can act on the body even more powerfully than synthetic drugs and treat them with the same respect.
- Recognize when conventional medicine is more appropriate
- Do not self-diagnose
Approved and recognized uses of herbs
Herbal medicine represents the use of plants to treat disease and enhance general health and overall wellbeing. Its goal is to get the body back to normal, to its natural balance in order to function normally.
Some of the herbs in this list are effective and save to use, and are approved in many studies and researches :
- Echinacea – it can boost the immune system and can help the body to fight off different infections
- Dong quai – mostly used for gynecological problems, such as painful periods, menopause and perimenopause symptoms.
- Garlic – it has many antibiotic and antiviral properties. People use it to treat many infections that happen in the respiratory system. Also it can reduce the risk of heart problems and decrease bad cholesterol.
- Ginger – studies show its effect in fighting many infections.
- Ginkgo Biloba – Biloba helps in treating poor blood circulation as well helping people with memory loss or concentration issues, and other mental problems